There are several method of running Windows software on a Mac, one involves Wine directly, but the easier option I would suggest is spend the money to buy CrossOver for $39.95–$59.95. The more expensive version includes 12 Months of Upgrades and support.
After you’ve got CrossoOver set up, you’ll need to grab some files:
- Winlink Express – Click Download in the menu, then select User Programs then the most recent version of Winklink Express. The filename will look similar to:
Winlink_Express_install_1-5-35-0.zip (Definitely go download the most recent version, not this one)
- Download VARA HF and/or VARA FM from the EA5HVK site.
- From the CrossOver instructions on K6ETA’s site, you’ll need to download some VARA Components.
Okay, now you’ve got everything downloaded, let’s get it installed!
- Launch CrossOver (perform any updates/upgrades it asks for)
- Create a New Bottle and call it Ham Radio or whatever you prefer
- I’m going to create it as a Windows 7 (32-bit) bottle since that is the default
- Install Microsoft .NET 3.5 Service Pack 1. To do so, click Install a Windows Application and start typing the name and select it from the list. After clicking Continue be sure to select your new Ham Radio bottle otherwise it will install it in a new empty bottle.
- In the same way, also install Microsoft Visual Basic 6 Runtime Service Pack 6 in the same bottle
- Install Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 (14.0) Redistributable
- Install Microsoft XML Parser (MSXML) 6.0 SP2 (for unknown reasons…optional?)
- Click Install a Windows Application then Select an Installer and select your Winlink Express zip file.
- Select your Ham Radio Bottle and under Select Application it is safe to just select Unlisted Application. Hit Continue and Install to start the installation.
- Using those same steps, install VARA FM and/or VARA HF in to the same bottle.
- Unzip the VARA Components file and copy the contents of the Put_in_System32 folder to the following location:
- /Users/[user name]/Library/Application\ Support/CrossOver/Bottles/[bottle name]/drive_c/windows/system32 and when it asks, overwrite any of the existing files with these new ones.
You should now have the Winlink Express icon in the bottle, along with VARA FM and/or VARA. You’ll want to open Winlink Express and set up your preferences (callsign, password, email, grid square, etc.) Also, install any updates/upgrades Winklink Express offers on each launch.